Post Top Ad

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone: I Quit My Job Of 5 Years And Got A New One!


Taking A Chance On Something New 

Yesterday, I took a leap of faith and quit my job at the newsroom after working there for 5 years and 9 months (entirely wayyy too long, lol). 

This has been my "safe" job since I was 25 years old ...  the job I've had throughout my freelance radio career and the job I kept even while I worked 40 hours at a full-time copy writing job. (This was my "just in case I get laid off" job and when I actually did get laid off at my copy writing job, I was glad I kept my position at the newsroom). 

But, yesterday, I typed up my resignation letter and now I count down the days until my two weeks are over. (And, I already cleaned my desk ... What a great feeling!



A brand new and different opportunity has come my way, and I was a little iffy about this new job that I just landed because it's in the marketing and advertising field which is something I haven't done before. I'm more about writing and print/online journalism. But, with this new job, I can gain a great set of skills, experience, traveling opportunities, and even more money. 

Seems like a no brainer here, right? Duh, take the new job is what you're probably thinking. 

Well, I became so comfortable at my safe job that I actually had to think and ask some of my family and friends their opinions on what I should do. 

I thought: Do I take this new opportunity and dive into this new career or stay comfortable with what I've known to be safe for the last five years?

Then I started doubting myself and thinking: I won't be able to do this!

But, I can't be afraid of failure, FAILURE IS GOOD!

All of us experience some fear of mistakes, failure and rejection. We need to get comfortable with failure and see mistakes and rejection as valuable learning opportunities.

So, even if I fail, it won't matter because it's better to fail, try and learn then to not try at all. 

This new job will be A LOT of work at first, but it will all be worth it in the long run. 

So, I had my aha moment and while driving to the newsroom yesterday in traffic, that's when I decided to just go for it. What do I have to lose? Why am I limiting myself in my current position where I know I haven't moved up in the company? 

C'mon, Lanette, you deserve better! is what I told myself.  

I'm 31 years old and I have no time to waste. Plus, I'm completely free to do what I want. I'm healthy, I have no kids and I have no husband. Complete freedom. I figured, why not get all the experience I can now and master these new skills while I still have this freedom. 

I don't want to look back one day and say: man, I should have taken that new job or I wonder where I would be at right now if I would've taken that new job? 

Why sit and wonder about something when you can just do it and find out.

Like author Jack Canfield said, "Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try." 

So, I told myself to MAN UP! 

I found the courage and I gave my two weeks notice yesterday at my current job.



Now, I set here and reflect on the good ol' days (ha!) ... like, when I got fired from Shoprite back in the day, and when I got fired from Ruby Tuesdays ... when I quit Victoria Secret because the manager wouldn't give me my birthday off and she had an attitude, lol ... Or the time when my old Kmart store had to hold an immediate staff meeting because God forbid I said 'condoms' over the loud speaker ... I also got laid off two years ago from my copy writing job ... I started getting miserable and bored at my last job and felt stuck ... And, I've been told 'No' hundreds of times ... My point is never give up! 


All of those 'No's' mean the job wasn't for you. God has something better, a much bigger plan for you! 


I was obviously told 'No' by so many editors in my field because God knew I was made to be a BOSS! And now, I'm in a management training program and I can't wait for what the future holds.


My advice to anyone who's looking for a new position: don't be afraid to push yourself and step outside your comfort zone. Know your worth and know you deserve better. 

And, stop listening to what your friends and family have to say. This is YOUR life and YOUR career experiences. Do it for you!

Making these hard decisions is what shapes us and what helps us grow. 

Your future is yours! Go out there and grab it, conquer it and live it up with no regrets and no wondering what your life WOULD have been like IF you've done this or that. Trust your gut, go out there and JUST DO IT!

RECEIVE YOUR FREE CHECKLIST, WORKSHEET + BONUS BLOG TIPS WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR MY FREE MAILING LIST HERE!
5:58:00 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...